The Fall Uniform

There are two trains of thought when it comes to interior design lovers' fashion skills. I've heard some people say that if you're into home design -- you probably suck at fashion. (That stings.) More often, I've heard that if you have a good eye for home design -- you probably just have a good eye.

I like to think that I have good taste in singular objects, but I have to admit I have a hard time styling my outfits and pulling them together in that effortless, messy, yet impeccably pulled-together way, the way most actually fashionable people can (sort of like the woman in this recent post).

To compensate, I usually develop some kind of uniform for each season, with a color palette I need to stick to, some well-made basics, two (okay, maybe, three) splurges for fun, and two splurges for investment pieces.

This fall, I'm going for buttery leather, rugged Frye-esque boots for walking, skinny jeans and cords,and a colors restricted to olive, black, cream and authentic plaids (no neon streaks in my plaid). So, admittedly, this sounds pretty boring -- although if you read this blog you know I am certainly not a bright color fan.

To shake things up, I plan to always accessorize with something metallic or sparkly things -- like the rings or (freaking awesome) Kate Spade shoes above.

...And I've literally just realized...I dress like the rooms I want to live in...Kind of like those people who enter "I look like my dog" contests. Good God.

Will any of you cop to this? I can't be the only one...

Clockwise: 1. JBrand Olive Skinny Cords (Net-a-Porter) 2. Herringbone Boy Shirt (J.Crew) 3. Bristol Cardigan (Madewell) 4. Photo via Pia Jane Bijkerk 5. Zip Leather Gloves (J.Crew) 6. Rings (Satomi Kawakita) 7. Artist's list via Sight Unseen 8. Sheldon Shoes (Kate Spade)
 
coompax-digital magazine