Jewelry Trends

by Andrea Morici
Senior Designer, Beadaholique

Well, it's September already and fall is rapidly approaching.  This is my favorite time of year, fashion and otherwise.  For me, one of the most exciting parts about this month is my annual trek down to the local bookstore to pick up the monstrously thick fall issues of the leading fashion magazines.  "978 Pages of Glorious Fall Fashion!", or something to that effect is usually plastered across the front page in tantalizing bold print.   

As a jewelry designer, I'm sure everyone can guess what I'm looking for: jewelry trends.  I am never happier than when the high fashion jewelry designs that I spot on the glossy pages of Bazaar or Vogue are easily replicable by the likes of me, a humble beader.  This year, after wading through page after page of outlandish accessories such as humongous metal chokers that resemble torture devices and thick blinged-out bangles piled halfway up the arm, I started to recognize a simpler, more subtle jewelry trend: the pendant on a chain. 

I know it sounds utterly basic, but just think about the options we have as beaders!  We now have so many different styles of chain available in bright and antiqued metal finishes.  We can make the chain long, we can wear it short.

We can layer!  And as for the pendants, the sky is the limit.  You can create your own pendant using wire-wrapping techniques and gemstones.  You can add multiple pendants and charms to one chain.  You can mix metals.

This trend is very doable, and oh-so-versatile. 

I myself can't wait to don a turtleneck sweater, a chic jacket, a pair of tailored wool pants, some ultra-cool wedge ankle booties, and most importantly, a long chain with a super awesome pendant (or two, or three) suspended from it.  I'm especially thrilled about the prospect of experimenting with resin in my pendants.  Stay tuned for the results of that adventure.  What about you, dear beader-reader?  Have you seen any jewelry trends lately that have knocked your proverbial socks off?  If so, I would very much love to hear about them!

Happy beading, and happy fall to one and all.

P.S. Here are a few pendant-friendly projects (with free instructions!) designed by Andrea - Ed.


Lover's Embrace Necklace
Buttercup Necklace

Frog Pad Necklace
Iridescent Ice Necklace

 
coompax-digital magazine